Annual Backgammon Tournament
We hosted our second Squad Backgammon Tournament at the swanky RAC Club in Pall Mall, on 25th November 2018. This is a major fundraising event for us with an amazing total of £7,484.95!
The prize for the main winner was a premium backgammon board plus a prize for the consolation winner and trophies.
We also had some other exciting auction and raffle items including:
- Dinner for two from Rabbit in Kings Road, London
- £500 voucher from Foster & Son shoemakers
- 2 luxury perfumes from Boadicea
- Vouchers from Alligator and Pear gift shop, Surrey
- A week at the Les Gres villa in the south of France - http://www.le-gres.com/
- A full years’ membership at PureGym
- An Experience Days voucher - www.experiencedays.co.uk
- Dinner for 2 (value £100 including a bottle of wine) at Brasserie Joel in the Westminster Bridge Park Plaza hotel, London
- 5 Hours of education consultancy worth £1,000 with Simply Learning Tuition
- 2 x £25 M&S Voucher
- Tickets to the London Transport Museum
- 4 tickets to the London Lions match at The Cooper Box arena, Stratford
- £40 voucher from The Avenue Cookery School
- Dinner for 2 at Mahiki including a cocktail
- Afternoon tea for 6 at Hoi Polloi, Shoreditch
- Bottle of Champagne
- £25 Gift card for Elys Wimbledon
- 3 Month membership @ Fitness Space Gym WIMBLEDON BRANCH_value £200
- 1 hours Personal Training session @ Fitness Space Wimbledon branch (£70)
- OralB Pro CrossAction Electric Toothbursh
- Ultimate Choice Experience Gift voucher for two
- Bottle of sherry
After a delicious brunch, guests were given an overview of the charity by our Chair Nick Morris and shown a video filmed by our Juniors Club.
There then followed the auction with some fabulous lots as listed above and more including and backgammon lessons from experts.
We were lucky enough to be joined by two members of our Vets Club accompanied by club leader, Ivana Orsinova, and volunteer Eleni Skaliotis. The members were able to give our guests a real flavour of what The Squad’s all about. They chatted happily to many of the tournament players as they went round selling them raffle tickets. And what a raffle! We had some fantastic prizes which had been generously donated by Squad trustees, volunteers, members and parents and other well wishers. Not only were the odds great but so were the prizes: vouchers, bottles of wine, tickets to the London Transport Museum, Experience Days vouchers and much more.
We rounded off the day by congratulating our Main winner George Jacobs, who beat Rod Hanreck in the final. The consolation tournament was won by Peter Bennet, who beat Jackie Stevens in that separate final.
We are very grateful to Peter and to Sidi for doing the main organising of the tournament for us; as well as to Richard Hartigan for directing the tournament on the day.
You can also read about this on our news item.